How to use Charles for iPad
This is a short guide on how to setup Charles for network capture on iPad. Network logging is an extremely useful way for our Developers to find out where an internet protocol fails when using LightSail. If you need any assistance in setting up Charles on your device please submit a support ticket at support.lightsailed.com or call our help line at 866.876.7323.
- Download Charles from www.charlesproxy.com.
- Connect your Macbook to the student WiFi network.
- Open Charles. Once Charles has launched, click on Proxy > SSL Proxying Settings
- Under SSL Proxy tab, ensure SSL Proxying is enabled, click on Add, then enter "*" for both Host and Port. Click OK to save.
- Hit the "Help" option located on the the top panel.
- Click on Help > SSL Proxying > Install Charles Root Certificate on a Mobile Device or Remote Browser.
- Charles will show you instructions to set up your device, as well as provide you with a proxy setting. (##.##.###.###:8888)
- On your test iPad, go to the WiFi settings. Ensure you are connected to the same WiFi network as the Macbook running Charles (your student WiFi network). Tap on the network name and change the HTTP Proxy tab to Manual.
Enter the following details that appear from the Charles popup:
- Server: ##.##.###.###
- Port: 8888
- Go to Safari on your iPad and navigate to http://charlesproxy.com/getssl
- Your Macbook running Charles will now ask you to authenticate this device. Approve.
- Your test iPad will now redirect into Settings, asking you to install a certificate. Install and trust. You may need to refresh the page on Safari to force this action.
- If you are on iOS 10.3 or higher go to Settings > About > Certificate Trust Settings and enable full trust for root certificates for the Charles Proxy.
- To begin, force quit all applications on your iPad. In Charles, clear any logs that appear.
- To begin a network log, press the record button. Now you may launch the LightSail app as needed and Charles will capture everything. When you are done testing, hit the Stop button and save the log to a desired location using the extension .chls.
- Send the log to support.lightsailed.com us so we can pinpoint any error messages.
Still have questions? Please submit a support ticket here or call us at 1.866.876.7323.
How to update my Ipad Version?
You should first check what version your ipad has. To check what version you have, do the following: Locate and open the Settings app. Tap General. Tap About. Note the current iOS version is listed by Version. To Upgrade your ipad version, do the ...
SummerSail Hotspot Instructions - Teachers
Schools may decide to issue hotspots to SummerSail students if they do not have Wi-Fi at home. The following steps will need to be completed on each iPad in order to connect to the hotspot. We recommend that you verify connectivity before the student ...
How to Set Up Guided Access
Guided Access helps students stay focused on a task while using an iPad. Guided Access limits the device to a single app and controls which app features are available. You can use Guided Access to: – Temporarily restrict your iPad to a single app. – ...
LightSail allows students to read in Offline Mode when a Wi-Fi connection is unavailable. In order to access LightSail in offline mode, two conditions need to be met: First, you must already have a book checked out. While you are connected to Wi-Fi ...
What is Class Code and How Does a Teacher Access it?
When creating your class roster, you can provide a unique class code to your students. The student will use the code to login for the first time. Once students login, they will automatically join your class roster. The class code can be found in the ...